Harold Sherman Adult Day Center
Philosophy and Purpose:
Granville Medical Center established The Harold Sherman Adult Day Care Center in response to the needs of disabled adults and their care givers. The program is designed to provide care to the elderly, and mentally or physically disabled adults enabling them to remain in their homes as long as possible, while providing their caregivers with a much needed and deserved break from providing care. We are dedicated to facilitating optimum independence, while valuing human dignity and seeking to enhance the quality of life for all involved.
The Harold Sherman Adult Day Center's goal is to create a flexible and stimulating program which will meet the diverse and changing needs and interests of the participants.
PO Box 1006 - Oxford, NC 27565
The Harold Sherman Adult Day Center program will use the following as guidelines:
The Harold Sherman Adult Day Center will offer a pleasant environment, nutritious meals and snacks, daily exercise, and nursing care all of which are tailored to the individual's needs whenever possible. Referrals will be made to other departments of the medical center as needed (i.e. Rehab, Behavioral Health, etc.).
The Harold Sherman Adult Day Center will offer the opportunity for contact with peers, a caring staff and volunteers.
The Harold Sherman Adult Day Center will build on strengths and increase feeling of self-worth and dignity.
- Opportunity to develop peer relationships/friendships
- Enrichment Activities including music, arts and crafts, field trips, recreation, educational and volunteer service programs.
- Involvement with surrounding community services and resources.
- Education and motivation for good personal care
- Physical activity appropriate for each individual's abilities
- Supervision of medications and encouragement of good health habits.
- Assistance with activities of daily living including but not limited to feeding, ambulation, or toileting as needed by individual participants.
- Weekly documentation of vital signs.
- Weekly assessment, documentation, vital signs, general nutrition, and hygiene of each participant and monthly weights.
- Assistance to participants and care givers with medical treatment plans, diets, and referrals as needed.
- Health education programs for all participants monthly.
- Health care counseling tailored to meet the needs of participants are care givers.
- First aid treatment provided (as needed)
- Medication monitored as needed.
- Wound dressing changes (as needed)
- Respite for care giver(s)
- Nutrition: A hot lunch that provides at least one-third of an adult's daily nutritional needs is served each day to all participants. A Registered Dietician will assist with therapeutic diets prescribed by a physician. Also, a nutritious breakfast and mid-afternoon snack is offered daily to each participant. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are covered by the daily basic rate. Tube feedings will be supplied if using the products we currently stock.
- Staffing: The center employs a full-time Program Director, full-time CNA/Program Aide(s) and full-time Health Care Coordinator. Low staff-to-participant ratio/limited enrollment. There will always be one staff member to not more than six participants at all times during hours of operation.
Services Provided at Extra Cost:
Specialized Services: Such as speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and counseling shall be facilitated by the Adult Day Care/Day Health Program as prescribed by a physician.
Transportation: Transportation is the responsibility of the participant's family or by other designated person(s) appointed by the family. Individuals providing this service must ensure the participant's safe entry to and from the facility. When transporting a participant to the Center, DO NOT assume that we know that the participant has arrived. It is your responsibility to let us know that the participant is here and that you are leaving. If transportation is unavailable, the center will provide transportation, within a 10 mile radius. An extra cost will be charged at the beginning of each month for this service.
Baths: Must arrive by 8:30 a.m. A charge will be recorded on the following month's bill.
Beauty Shop: By appointment and at extra cost on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. A Price list is available from the beauticians.
View Larger Map
Other relevant sites on the Internet: